Sun’s Out, Fun’s Out

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sun’s Out, Fun’s Out

Sheridan Meek, News Editor

Spring has sprung in Manchester – well, if you look at the calendar it has. Technically, the first day of spring was March 20th, but if you look outside you wouldn’t exactly be able to tell. One of the worst, and best, parts of living in New England is that weather can change on a dime. Whether that means snow in March, or that same snow melting within a week, it won’t be long until this chill is gone and replaced with sun.

As students anticipate the warmer weather and end of the year, there are plenty of things to look forward to both inside and outside of school. Some of these may be new ideas, and some may have been on your mind since September:

• Spring Sports have Begun. Warmer weather means the opportunity to not only play Spring sports at MHS, but to watch them as well! Teams such as baseball or tennis (among others) have games and matches that the student body is welcome to attend! The schedules for each spring sport team can be found at manchesterathletics.org
  • Prom. You probably don’t need to be reminded of this upcoming school event, but you may not know all the specifics! Junior Prom will take place on Friday, May 7th (7-11pm) at Maneeley’s, with tickets going on sale April 17th-April 28th for $55 ($65 for guests). Senior Prom will be at the Radisson Hotel in Cromwell on May 20th (6-11pm). Ticket sales start on May 1st and continue until the 12th. If you haven’t already bought a dress, take a look at Katy Facas’ story on where to find the best one!   
  • Ben & Jerry’s Free Cone Day. Many MHS students already enjoyed free cone day at Dairy Queen or the freebies at Rita’s on the first day of Spring. Next week there will be another opportunity to satisfy your sweet tooth at Ben & Jerry’s Free Cone day. This year it is on April 4th – mark your calendars!
  • Harry’s Place has opened for the season. A bit of a drive away, in Colchester, Harry’s Place has opened their doors until around October. If you haven’t heard of, or been to this gem, get some friends or family together for a mini-road trip to celebrate the season! The food is amazing, and the outdoor seating is perfect to soak up the (hopefully) sun. 

Although it may be another few weeks until we truly get some warmth, these are just a few ideas of how to make the most of the season once it arrives. Happy Spring MHS!

Photo: Yearbook Staff
Photo: Sheridan Meek