The student news site of Manchester High School

Harbinger

Our Harbinger Memories

Harbinger Staff 2016-17

Harbinger Staff 2016-17

Photo: Morgan Smith

Photo: Morgan Smith

Harbinger Staff 2016-17

Harbinger Staff Seniors

Being involved in Harbinger for the past three years has opened my eyes to parts of MHS and the Manchester community that I never would have experienced without this opportunity. I grew up around journalism, and have always had such a love for it. Whether it is writing a feature on someone who has an amazing story to tell, or making an article look aesthetically pleasing on paper, I have enjoyed it all. Thank you to the wonderful Harbinger advisors and fellow editors for your continued support and memories. If you like to write, take pictures, or tell stories, Harbinger is the place for you. And remember, print journalism is not dead! Ashley Anglisano, Managing Print Editor

It has really been great to work inside the communications suite these past two years here at Manchester High School. This experience has given me the opportunity to find my passion in journalism. Only being in Harbinger for one year, I have learned a lot about the art of print journalism. My favorite part about these past two years has been the opportunity to interact and get to know people that I wouldn’t necessarily see on a daily basis. Getting to see and learn all about the different aspect of what makes Manchester High School so great. It has been a true honor to work with the Harbinger and the PulseTyler Madden, Staff Writer

It’s been a great year to contribute to the Harbinger and have my work featured in print and on our website. I have learned a lot about how to get the reader’s attention with the importance of my work, while giving other students the opportunity to be featured in the Harbinger with my fashion stories and photos. It has been an honor to be a part of the Harbinger family and I look forward to seeing the creativity the upcoming classes bring to the Manchester High School community. Rowmel Findley, Staff Photographer

So Manchester High, this is it.

As I sit here and write this, I’m finding myself having difficulty thinking of the perfect thing to say. Last week one of my best friends graduated from Kingswood Oxford and the keynote speaker at her commencement was their librarian. She opened with a story about how when she was first asked to speak that morning she had tried to remember who had spoke at her own graduation decades ago and failed. She laughed, “I guess whoever it was hadn’t said anything of importance as it clearly hadn’t left much of an impression on me.” Then she went on to tell us how she was so curious she dug up her yearbook and come to find out, their speaker hadn’t been able to attend so SHE was the one who spoke that year. The point being that whatever she said next, she hoped she left an impression on the KO Class of 2017.

Well, that is the very same dilemma I am facing right now. I lack the ability to share my favorite memory because I have so many that I will cherish forever. I have nothing left to report on. I will refrain from boring you with a long story. And I can’t think of advice that you haven’t previously heard. So, instead, I suppose it will be most appropriate to share one last opinion with you.

Your experiences, whether they be good or bad, are what shape you as a person. Let the good ones make you appreciate the little moments; the moments where time seems to stop; where a picture could not come close to capturing the feeling; when you are surrounded by people, strangers or those closest to you; but just the same, it feels as if you are alone watching a scene from a movie, because the moment is that incredible.

Allow the bad ones to force you to become a stronger person; a more compassionate, grounded individual. The lessons I have learned from each hardship I have faced are the most powerful.

Find the people in your life who are worth fighting for. Don’t ever change your personality for another person. Love the people who you know at the end of the day will always have your best interest at heart endlessly, and never stop believing in yourself.

It is okay to know and it is okay not to know. It is okay to be overwhelmed, frustrated, stressed, fed up, and everything in between. It is okay to cry. It is okay to laugh and be silly and carefree. Smile as often as you can. Have no regrets. Experience today.

Thank you for letting me write for you for the past three years, and thank you for not only reading, but allowing me to grow as a writer and a more mature adult.

I will be forever grateful to have been a part of the Manchester public school system for the past 13 years.

Goodbye MHS!

With love,

Jenna Leon, Opinion Editor

Pretty sure I’m supposed to write something really emotional. And I could. I could sit here and reminisce. I could tell you about how great of a time I had here and how much it’s influenced me as a person. I could write about my experiences playing football and writing for Harbinger. About my years in broadcast journalism and how it helped me turn MHS into a second home. I could talk about how I found inspiration within my classrooms. How I learned more about myself in this school than anywhere else. I could write about that. I could preach about how important it is to find something you’re passionate about and pursue it. Make it what drives you. Make it the reason to get better. I could tell you that. But I won’t. My experiences won’t be yours. My advice may not work for you. Most likely you don’t even really care enough to have read to this point. So what I will tell you, for those of you have bothered to read this far, if you don’t find interest in your class or in sports, if you don’t care much for our electives or even your fellow students, if you do nothing else in your time here, make happiness a priority. You owe yourself that much. Jason Owen, Sports Editor

When I came into MHS, I was just a freshman, an impressionable individual that could, and would be able to shape my future throughout my 4 years here. There were a lot of paths I could have taken when I got here. I could have gone into sports, I could have become a member of the class board, and I could have been a member of the broadcasting team. In the end, I chose my own path. I became more involved in the music wing than any other part of MHS, but also delved into writing for the MHS Harbinger. I got a taste for everything at MHS, and enjoyed every minute of it. I’ve met friends that I wouldn’t have been able to make elsewhere. I’ve met teachers that have influenced my future goals. I have become a better citizen in my community because of MHS. If there is anything I’ve learned at MHS, it’s “Nothing will happen if you don’t try.” Joseph DiBella, Staff Writer

I have had so much fun being involved in Manchester High School’s media programs over the last two years. I cannot recommend any other classes more. So what if you’re working behind the scenes under tight deadlines, or having all of your hard work go unrecognized by all except a few close friends, or maybe staying up really late at night trying to post everyone’s articles on the website—it is so rewarding to see the final product you create. But even if you don’t join the Harbinger or the Pulse, please, please, please get involved with something you can be passionate about. It will make waking up and going to school every day feel worthwhile. I think that’s the best advice I can give anyone. Elizabeth Turley, Managing Digital Editor

Looking back to Freshman year, and even to Freshman First Day, I would never have believed how quickly these four years have passed and how many great opportunities, memories, and friendships Manchester High has given me. Some of my best memories from MHS came from getting involved and participating in school clubs and on sports teams. Through sports, I was able to learn hard work, dedication, and perseverance. I learned how to win and lose, both as a team and as an individual, and I learned that I was capable of far more than I had originally thought. The most fun memories I have are of Friday Night football games, dancing in the Homecoming Parade, and going to Snoball and Prom. But when I graduate in two weeks, I won’t just remember all of the fun memories I made while here at MHS, I will remember all of the difficult classes I took and all of the great teachers and mentors that I had, and I will feel confident in myself and prepared to succeed in college because of my experiences in the classroom. I will also remember my friends, who I met in the classroom but spent time with at extracurriculars. I want to thank all of my great teachers and friends for making my experience at Manchester High School a truly memorable one. I also want to encourage current and future students at Manchester High to take challenging classes but also participate in extracurriculars. Go to football games and dances, do your homework, and most of all enjoy the four years you have here because graduation will come sooner than you think. Katyland Facas, Senior Staff Writer

Manchester is my home. I was born and raised here and some of the people I am graduating with I have known since I was only 5 years old. Now, graduation is nearing and I am starting to reflect on my time here in Manchester and my time at Manchester High School. My favorite memories as an MHS student are of all the school and extracurricular events I participated in. Planning Mr. MHS as the APB Co-President this year, along with the countless other APB events I’ve participated in since my freshmen year, were unforgettable and fun-filled experiences. I had the time of my life when I joined FBLA and was able to go to Chicago for nationals in my sophomore year. Choosing to join Harbinger and play on the tennis team in my junior year were great decisions because I forged amazing friendships, challenged myself, and gained new skills. I’m now heading off to Boston College in the fall and I feel prepared and optimistic. One of the most important pieces of advice I can leave you all with is to join activities and clubs, participate in school events, and do as much as your schedule can allow. The activities and teams I joined shaped me into who I am today and have given me confidence, friendships, and skills that are essential for college. Go outside of your comfort zone and be an active member of the MHS community, you’ll be a better person and student for it. I will miss Manchester High School and I am so grateful for all of the teachers, advisors, and staff who have guided me and inspired me throughout my high school journey. I wish all current MHS students the best of luck and just know that doing something is always better than not doing something and regretting it. Maddie Bockus, Features Editor

My favorite memory throughout high school would be breaking the school record at the Journal Inquirer my junior year. Joining the track team my freshman year I made great friendships with my teammates and coaches that pushed me to do my best at each meet. My junior year, the 4 x 1 had a lot of strength and we were confident that we could do well throughout the season. This made us come to practice each day with a determined mindset and ready to work. Getting closer to the JI meet we were working extensively in handoffs and block starts trying to make sure we got them down, and the day of the JI I could tell we were going to find success. The race went perfectly, our only competition dropped the baton leaving us in first place with no one else in sight. When the anchor leg crossed the finish line we knew we won the meet, but we didn’t know if we had the record. When the announcer of the meet came over the speaker and said our time, all members of our 4 x 1  ran into the middle of the field at the track screaming and jumping for joy. We had finally broke the record we have worked so hard for, and this pushed us even more to get the time lower and lower. To this day I remember hearing our names over the speakers and the pure happiness that filled the stadium from each one of us and our coaches finally being satisfied with the results from the race. Breaking the 4 x 1 record will always be a great memory to me because not only did it reward us for our hard work, it showed that being as determined as we did we could have done anything. Morgan Smith, Social Media Editor

I’ve been waiting for the next three weeks of my life since kindergarten. Well that might be a bit of an overstatement, considering as a six year old the only thing I was really waiting for was snack time. But, these coming weeks have definitely been on my mind since freshman year.

The end of senior year means a lot more than just walking across a stage. It is award ceremonies, field trips, banquets and a calendar sent in the mail just so that you can keep it all straight. And let me tell you, every single one of these has a form of different color to turn in with it. Recently, as I was up late finally shifting through all of the forms I had to fill out, I noticed the “Scholar Luncheon” sheet. Partially because it required me to pick from six different (very enticing) menu options, but mostly because it asked me to invite a faculty member who had positively impacted me while I was at Manchester High School. I realized that I had never really thought about this before. I have never been someone who idolized high school as the best years of my life. Personally, I think that’s kind of a sad way to look at life. Why shouldn’t the best years of your life always be yet to come? I’ve been fairly good at avoiding truly looking at how Manchester High School, and the people that inhabit it everyday, have shaped me, possibly out of fear of realizing that it was all going to become apart of my past. As I stared at the little line waiting for a name, I couldn’t avoid it anymore.

I’ve had a lot of amazing teachers over 12 years of school. I loved them all for different reasons. Mrs. Kilgus was my first favorite teacher, yet the main memory I have of the second grade is wishing I had bright golden hair like hers, held up in clips as she read Junie. B. Jones to us. When I was in seventh grade, Mr. Watson took over that role as we played science bingo and watched countless Bill Nye videos. Looking back on my earlier days of education, there was a very simple formula to becoming my favorite teacher- pretty hair and Friday bingo with Jolly Ranchers as a prize. Now this is not to say that these teachers didn’t impact me further than this, but for so long my view of what it meant to be a good teacher had to do with how much fun I had in their class, and how little work I had to do. When I began this 4 year journey of high school, I began to learn the importance of being invested in.

As I stared at that yellow form, I thought of the teachers who had invested in who I was, and who I am going to become. I’ve never been the student who stays after class for half a period talking about life with my teachers, but I’ve felt what it’s like when a teacher asks how you are, and genuinely wants to hear the answer. I thought of Mrs. Mazzotta, the teacher who has truly invested in building my confidence in my math abilities, by simply proving that she cared about who I was and how I was. I thought of Mrs. Duga, who I didn’t even have as a teacher, but who I have been lucky enough to spend many power hours talking to, who treats me more genuinely than most people I have met. I thought of Big Mitch, who would shout “Meek” down the hallway at me, and ask me about the most recent swim meet, even when it was before 8 am and I was trying my best to avoid eye contact with all of humanity. I thought of Mr. Delaney, who challenges my perspective yet is always so willing to hear it.

After I came out of my nostalgic fog, I decided to write Mr. Mikkelsen on that golden sheet. My older brothers both had Mr. Mikkelsen as a guidance counselor, and he was a bit of a household name for the Meek family as I entered my freshman year. I was disappointed to find out that he would not be mine, but I quickly established a relationship when he was my golf coach. The first thing he noticed about me was the fact that I was wearing a Taylor Swift t-shirt. While he may have let a couple practices go by before he commented on my swing, he was quick to notice what kind of music I liked. Ever since then, he’s always been great at noticing what I consider the most important parts of myself. When he eventually did become my guidance counselor, and helped me apply to college, he didn’t ask about my grades, he asked about what I really wanted to do with my life. When I emailed him at eleven o’clock at night, stressing out about whether or not my transcripts were sent to a school, he emailed me back a minute later telling me that he had it handled and that I should probably go to bed. I am so grateful to have had known an educator who invested in me purely by getting to know who I am. It is a unique and special experience to find educators who treat you as an equal, and get to know you beyond their job requirement. Meeting people who have invested in who I am has been the greatest thing I will take from these 4 years, and is the greatest hope I have for all those who come after me.

Sheridan Meek, News Editor