College Planning Organization Tips

Asiana Flordelis, Staff Writer

Trying to balance high school and other outside responsibilities is stressful enough, but adding in planning for after high school could make life very overwhelming for students.
As the Imagine College Coordinator, Ms. Batista is experienced in helping students choose their college route. She explained the most common mistake high school students make while looking at colleges is,

“Waiting until the last minute! Students should start the college research process in junior year, in the springtime. You can start applying to colleges over the summer, and can actually start filling out the common app in late spring of junior year. Many students wait until senior year to start this process and then are very overwhelmed and have a hard time balancing college applications with senior year courses and activities.”

Going along with the common applications, it can be easy to forget about deadlines. The smartest decision is to submit it earlier than the actual deadline. For example, if an application is due December 15th, the latest you should submit it is the beginning of December.

A frequently asked question is when students should start looking into colleges, majors, and things of that sort? It would make things easier to start throughout your junior year so that you at least have an idea of where you want to go and what you want to do by your senior year. But, it’s also okay if you don’t know what you want to major in, it can be a struggle trying to figure out what will work best for you.

If you are really struggling with figuring everything out, visit your guidance counselor! A big part of their job is to help guide you in the right direction, and it helps to have someone that keeps you on track by giving you a personalized to-do list.

As for any advice to students currently figuring out what colleges to look into, Ms. Batista says to,

Visit over spring break or the summer! A college may look great to you on paper or online, but you won’t know until you step on campus.”

Overall, college plans can be rough, but receiving help from your guidance counselor and a parent or guardian can really help you overcome the obstacles.

Photo: Stock Photo