Harbinger

6 Days After Students Staged School Walkouts Against Gun Violence, There’s Been Another School Shooting

Noor Majid, Web Developer

Photo: Alex Brandon
Great Mills High School in Maryland is just 70 miles south of Washington, D.C., where student activists are organizing a March For Our Lives protest on March 24 against gun violence.

A student opened fire at Great Mills High School in southern Maryland on the morning of Tuesday, March 20, critically injuring two other students before he was confronted by a school resource officer, according to the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office.

Authorities said the officer and gunman exchanged fire in a hallway, and that the gunman was mortally wounded. It is not clear if the shooter was killed by the officer or hit by his own round. The other students — a 16-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy — were hospitalized, the girl with life-threatening injuries.

“On this day, we realized our worst nightmare,” said Sheriff Timothy K. Cameron at an 11:30 A.M. press conference. “Our children were attacked in a bastion of safety…The notion that ‘it can’t happen here’ is no longer a notion.”

This is the 17th school shooting of 2018 in the United States, and comes just days after students across the country walked out in mass protests against gun violence in schools. Our very own Manchester High School staged a walkout, for which you can read more about here.

The national walkout movement was prompted by the deadly mass school shooting on February 14 in Parkland, FL in which 17 students and faculty were killed. The Parkland survivors are organizing a national demonstration for gun control laws in Washington, D.C. on March 24 called March for Our Lives.

Photo: Getty Images
Parkland students protest gun violence on March 14.