Harbinger

Lil B Gets Jumped Backstage?!

Pierre Asamoah, Staff Writer

Rapper Lil B

There have been conflicts in the hip-hop community since its inception. Rappers have been getting killed by these conflicts also known as “beef”. If a rapper has beef with someone they don’t like that person and it could be for any reason. The biggest and most well known rap beef was back in the 1990s with the East Coast- West Coast beef which ended with the deaths of popular rappers, Tupac and Biggie.

The latest incident occurred as Lil B canceled his set at the Rolling Loud Bay Area festival on October 22 after he got jumped by fellow rapper “A Boogie Wit the Hoodie”. Lil B came onto the stage saying he would not be able to perform because A Boogie and his crew had beaten him up and they stole his equipment. But straight after he said that he forgave them.

“I don’t promote violence, I’m never with the violence,” Lil B told the audience. “So I love them, and it’s all good. I said something about Boogie music, and they all got mad and they jumped me about that.”

The way Lil B handled this beef isn’t really that surprising. It just showed us that he really believes in what he preaches.

Lil B is well known for being “Based,” a term he uses which means being yourself and positive (in fact he considers himself “The Based God”). He does his best to help other people be positive. At the age of 19 he wrote a book titled, Takin Over by Imposing the Positive! It gives everyone the chance to look into how it feels to be “Based.” Many fans gave the book 5-star ratings on Goodreads.com with comments such as, “This book is kinda like the bible except better and probably more important,” (Brenton) and “I got this book to learn more about the based world. Already a firm supporter of the based god, I wanted to spread his wisdom with everybody I knew,” (Kayman Miller).

Lil B might not be the most famous rapper but he most likely influenced your favorite rapper. He has done lectures at universities such as MIT and UCLA and got props and support from rappers such as Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown, Chief Keef, Earl Sweatshirt, Chance The Rapper and more. Lil B’s influence also isn’t limited to hip hop. His alter ego, The Based God, has ‘cursed’ many popular NBA stars for not giving him credit for doing his cooking dance, or disrespecting him. NBA players such as Kevin Durant, James Harden, and retired NBA star Kenyon Martin have felt The Based God’s wrath.

No matter how much you may love or hate Lil B it looks like he’s not going anywhere. He’s going to keep spreading peace, love and positivity to everyone who will listen despite widespread hate upon him. It’s been over five years since Lil B’s powerful personality went viral, and in ten years his philosophies will be mainstream. But whether he gets recognition or not, he will always be a beloved personality in hip-hop.

Thank you, Based God.

Pierre Asamoah, Staff Writer

Pierre Asamoah is a senior at Manchester High School, where is a member of the indoor and outdoor track team. He runs the sprint events, such as the 55,...