Harbinger

Red (Hot) Sox

Alex Cora

Alex Cora

Kely Maloney, Staff Writer

The Boston Red Sox are off to a red hot 17-5 start, the best record in the majors. The keys behind their success include stellar starting pitching and an abundance of run support. Former AL Cy Young award winner Rick Porcello is off to a 4-0 start with a 1.93 ERA. Perennial MVP candidate Mookie Betts is hitting .347 with 6 home runs and 14 RBI’s. The depth that the Red Sox have has been key early in the year. Despite Xander Bogaerts being placed on the disabled list with an ankle injury the lineup has continued to produce. Since the Bogaerts injury the Sox have scored 85 runs in 13 games (about 6.5 runs per game). Besides signing all-star J.D. Martinez and the return of a healthy David Price the Red Sox roster did not change much compared to last season. Perhaps the most important piece to the Red Sox hot start has been new manager Alex Cora

Cora has changed the demeanor of the clubhouse and the overall atmosphere surrounding the team. With the mental shift comes the in game shift. Cora has allowed Red Sox batters to swing more freely whereas previous manager John Farrell was in favor of taking the first pitch of every plate appearance. Since the Red Sox world series win in 2013 the animosity within the clubhouse has been prevalent. Whether it be David Price lashing out at Red Sox’ legends or players speaking out on the faults of John Farrell the team has been a hot mess. The hiring of a new manager seemed to be a weight lifted off of the teams shoulders and a start of a new era. This kind of start may not lead to a World Series Victory, but the change in culture is easy to see. The Alex Cora era is officially upon us and it could not have started out in a better way.

Kely Maloney, Staff Writer

Kely Maloney is a sophomore at MHS and this is his first year at Harbinger. In no particular order, the five things in life that bring him immense joy...