Harbinger

Manchester High School Hosting ARCY Live! Event on Friday, May 4th

Eamon Gara Grady, Staff Writer

In an effort to inspire and recognize the artistic roots of our Manchester community, Manchester High School will be hosting Ryan ‘ARCY’ Christenson this Friday, May 4th.

Christenson will be crafting a mural for the Performing Arts & Communications Academy room in MHS. This design is an original piece that features Ella Fitzgerald, the first African American woman to win a Grammy Award. Fitzgerald later went on to win 13 Grammys and sell over 40 million albums, and is a true symbol of African American and female cultural success.

Christenson, who goes by the nickname ‘ARCY’ is from Wallingford, Connecticut. He has had great success–working for Disney, Major League Baseball, the National Park Service and the Smithsonian Institute–creating large scale murals, live while in front of large audiences. ARCY has painted across the United States as well as Australia, Brazil and Ireland. His local piece of Mark Twain, Katherine Hepburn and Samuel Colt is on display in Hartford (see below) and has received much acclaim. He is currently on tour in North America, painting 8’ x 12’ murals that reflect human faces.

On Friday, ARCY will be live painting the Ella Fitzgerald mural in the courtyard at MHS starting at 6 AM. He will be painting throughout the school day, and it is encouraged that students make their way down to the courtyard to view his amazing work.

For more information about the event, contact Amanda Navarra at [email protected]

For more information about ARCY, visit http://arcyofficial.com/

ARCY’s Mural in Hartford