Harbinger

Manchester Boys Win The Journal Inquirer Greater Manchester Invite

Back to Article
Back to Article

Manchester High senior Jevin Frett, who won the 400 meter dash at  the JI Invitational (Credit: Manchester Public Schools)

Manchester High senior Jevin Frett, who won the 400 meter dash at the JI Invitational (Credit: Manchester Public Schools)

Photo: Manchester Public Schols

Photo: Manchester Public Schols

Photo: Manchester Public Schols

Pierre Asamoah, Staff Writer

Manchester High School hosted one of the biggest track meets in the state on May 19 — the 37th Randy Smith Journal Inquirer Greater Manchester Invite.

Twenty-one schools came down to the Manchester track for the event.

It might have been a rainy day but that did not stop the athletes from breaking personal bests and doing their best. The Manchester High School boys  won the meet with 147.2 points, with East Hartford in second with 81.7 points.

RHAM won the girls meet with 109 points. The Manchester girls finished eighth with 50 points.

There were many standout performances from Manchester athletes: sophomore Jaylin McGhee came first in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.44, senior Jevin Frett won the 400 in 49.43, senior Joey Pearl took the 1600 with a personal best 4:24.41, senior Shawn Akomeah won the 300 hurdles (41.39), and senior Kyle Smith was in first in the steeplechase (6:45.53, a personal record).

Manchester also won the 4X400 relays, as the team of Frett, Pearl, Akomeah and Smith finished in 3:33.84.

In the girls meet, Manchester’s Corinne Glenney, Jenna Donnelly, Hannah Sullivan and Kate Hedlund won the 4X800 relay in 9:42.34.

More information on the results here: www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/meet/332792/results

Pierre Asamoah, Staff Writer

Pierre Asamoah is a senior at Manchester High School, where is a member of the indoor and outdoor track team. He runs the sprint events, such as the 55,...