Harbinger

Fantastic Festivals at MHS

Noor Majid, Web Developer

This past Thursday (May 31), MHS music students participated in the Fantastic Festivals competition hosted in our very own Bailey Auditorium. The music groups which played were the Freshmen and Combined Orchestra, MHS Concert Band, Percussion Ensemble, Choir, and Handbell Choir.

All students played with dedication, expression, and talent. Following their performance, the music groups had the opportunity to have a 15-minute clinic with one of the judges — who were all certified music professionals.

The Fantastic Festivals competition awards a Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum award based on a graded scale; with Platinum being the highest prestige. MHS’s very own Handbell Choir took away a Platinum Award on Thursday. The rest of the music groups earned a Gold for their performances.

Photo: AP Photo
The cello is an orchestral instrument.

After performing, students went on to the Six Flags Amusement Park for a day of excitement and fun.

The Fantastic Festivals has occurred annually since 2007, and MHS has participated since the very first competition. Judges in this competition are music professionals, and are often music teachers.

Each group is graded on bowing (for stringed instruments), rhythm, tone, intonation, and musical expression. There are three judges, each scoring the group out of one hundred. Platinum — the highest award — requires an average score of 93-100.

MHS was a host site for Fantastic Festivals — music groups from other schools in the area came to the Bailey Auditorium every Friday in May and the beginning of June for their adjudications.

MHS will be both hosting and participating in Fantastic Festivals next year.