Harbinger

My Love For XXXTentacion

xxxtentacion
Back to Article
Back to Article

My Love For XXXTentacion

xxxtentacion

xxxtentacion

Photo: instarimages.com

xxxtentacion

Photo: instarimages.com

Photo: instarimages.com

xxxtentacion

Gianna Burti, Staff Writer

The artist I mostly listen to on my playlist is XXXTentacion. I started listening to X last year when I was really depressed and found that his lyrics walked me through the depressive state I was in and helped me get better overall.

His real name is Jahseh Onfroy and he mostly made rap music about dealing with depression, before he died. He was robbed and shot on June 18, 2018 by men who didn’t even know him personally. His music focused on not being alone, and to express your thoughts and feelings because it is healthier that way. This can be shown in the beginning of the song  “Let’s pretend we’re numb,” where he talks about this subject:

As a fair warning to everyone listening to this song

I advise you to not hide your feelings

Don’t pretend to be okay when you’re not okay

Don’t pretend to be happy when you’re sad

It’ll only lead to your misery”

I interviewed one of the biggest X fans I know, my friend Zach Faccin. He is an Internet music artist who looks up to Jahseh immensely and has been listening to him for four years. He found him on SoundCloud at a time when he was really upset and starting listening to him because he found that he could relate on an emotional level, and just overall loved the beat, lyrics and flow. Zach talks about X’s song “Skins” which is about a girl harming herself because her boyfriend left her, and Zach liked the exposure of deep topics that Jahseh would reveal through his music.

Jahseh loved his fans and would’ve done anything for them. After getting out of jail he got on a live stream and the first thing Jahseh did was thank his fans and told them he loved them. Zach admires that and would like to be as influential as Jahseh when he is older. He was interested  in X’s past because of the struggles he went through, he never had a solid home and had to live with many different family members because his mother was financially unstable and was thrown with many issues to deal with at a very young age. He had been to jail three times and still continued to make music and be there for his fans and Zach admired how you couldn’t stop Jahseh from him following his dream and aspires to be like that with his own music career.

Jahseh Onfroy has been a big help and inspiration to me as a person and an artist. If you haven’t listened to him yet he has older music on SoundCloud and two of his most recent albums tilted “ 17” and “?”

I would definitely give him a listen.

Gianna Burti, Staff Writer

Gianna Burti, is a senior at Manchester High school. Her favorite subject in school is Science. This year she is taking “Mythbusters” because the class...