Harbinger

Valee could be rap’s next big star

Back to Article
Back to Article

Valee could be rap’s next big star

Valee, an emerging rapper from Chicago.

Valee, an emerging rapper from Chicago.

Photo: Meredith Truax/via Chicago Tribune

Valee, an emerging rapper from Chicago.

Valee, an emerging rapper from Chicago.

Pierre Asamoah, Staff Writer

You probably have never heard of him, but Valee is an up-and-coming rapper from Chicago. His style of rapping is so unique that other famous artists have taken it for their own. 6ix9ine, Nicki Minaj, and Tyler the Creator are just a few of the big names that have used Valee’s style as inspiration for some music they have made. The humble self man made who also worked as a electrician and a carpenter for a few years, if you’ve never heard of him until today, then get ready to hear about the G.O.O.D Music signee, Valee.

According to an interview with Billboard magazine  , Valee Taylor, also known as Valee, has been rapping for over two years, but has been interested in music since he was in high school. He had learned how to make beats from a neighbor and joined a rap group with three of his friends, but stopped making music once his computer crashed. After that he lost the motivation to make music. Years later, working as an electrician and carpenter, Valee decided to get back into music and bought equipment from Guitar Center. That was when he got serious with his music.

The now 30 year old rapper has released over six mixtapes since 2016,all featuring his unique style of rapping while gaining the attention of G.O.O.D Music, a record label famous for being founded by popular rapper Kanye West. While just signed to the label, Valee released the mixtape “Good Job, You Found Me.” The 14 -minute mixtape features tracks such as “Skinny,” “Juice and Gin,” “I Got Whatever,” and “Miami,” which features Pusha T, G.O.O.D Music president.

Since then, Valee has worked with several other rappers such as Jeremih, Lil Yachty, and fellow Chicago rapper Z Money.

Pierre Asamoah, Staff Writer

Pierre Asamoah is a senior at Manchester High School, where is a member of the indoor and outdoor track team. He runs the sprint events, such as the 55,...