Harbinger

Profile: Erica Gonsalves

Back to Article
Back to Article

Profile: Erica Gonsalves

MHS teacher Erica Gonsalves in Ireland

MHS teacher Erica Gonsalves in Ireland

Photo: Courtesy of Erica Gonsalves

MHS teacher Erica Gonsalves in Ireland

Photo: Courtesy of Erica Gonsalves

Photo: Courtesy of Erica Gonsalves

MHS teacher Erica Gonsalves in Ireland

Pierre Asamoah, Staff Writer

Erica Gonsalves is more than just a teacher at Manchester High.

She is a very creative, intelligent and hardworking individual who can take inspiration as a writer from anywhere. She is currently writing a story and she got the main idea from a question asked by a speaker at a writing workshop — “What would it sound like if trees had their own language?”

That question sparked her interest in writing her own story. She uses that kind creativity everyday at MHS, where she has been a teacher for eight years.

Gonsalves teaches two classes at MHS: English and Dance. Ms G said she loved  her sophomore English class because of the novels that the class reads. She also loves teaching Dance because it is so different than teaching English and she loves the interactions with dance students.

She said she found her love for teaching while she was a freshman in high school. Her mother was also a teacher and that may have inspired her career choice.

With some experience in teaching at East Hartford High School, she came to MHS and she loves the diversity along with the opportunities it brings.

Gonsalves grew up in Harwinton, a small town in Litchfield County —  she calls it, “the middle of nowhere.” Growing up in Connecticut, she grew a love for dancing and started to take dance classes, and even wanted to be a dance teacher when she grew up.

She earned her bachelor’s degree and her first master’s degree from Central Connecticut State University. She also has always had a strong love for reading and writing and eventually got her second master’s degree in Creative Writing in Galway, Ireland.

Gonsalves chose Galway because it is a place that keeps the Irish language alive. She took a year off from teaching at MHS to pursue the degree in Ireland and she loved the experience.