Harbinger

Profile: Nikki Milewski

Back to Article
Back to Article

Profile: Nikki Milewski

MHS English teacher Nikki Milewski

MHS English teacher Nikki Milewski

Photo: Courtesy: Nikki Milewski

MHS English teacher Nikki Milewski

Photo: Courtesy: Nikki Milewski

Photo: Courtesy: Nikki Milewski

MHS English teacher Nikki Milewski

Jaime Lopez, Staff Writer

Nikki Milewski did not start off wanting to be an English teacher. Instead, she wanted to be a “best-selling author.”

Her mom said that it wasn’t a practical career, and she finally agreed.  So she chose to go to college for education because she thought it was a great choice for her life. One of her favorite college professors at Fairfield University taught her teaching grammar could be fun. It was the start of her career, as she started student-teaching and didn’t look back. 

Milewski said she chose Fairfield because it was far enough from home but not too far for times she needed to go back. Plus, she had a major scholarship and the school had all the programs she wanted. It took her four years to get her undergraduate as a English major with an Education minor. Then there was another three and a half years for her master’s degree at Central Connecticut State University while she was teaching part-time.  

Aside from teaching, Milewski loves penguins, dancing and — she says — all things caffeine! Manchester High School was not the first teaching job, as she worked at multiple schools as a long-term substitute teacher. But MHS was her first permanent job, and she was drawn to the school because of the access to technology and to the academies. She has stayed because of the great relationships with co-workers and even students. 

She has been working at MHS  for four years and enjoys the daily interactions she gets. She loves her career and can’t imagine doing anything else.

Jaime Lopez, Staff Writer

Jaime Lopez  is a senior at Manchester High School. Prior to living in Manchester  -- her favorite town -- Jaime lived in East Hartford and New Britain....