Harbinger

Profile: John Hegenauer

MHS+teacher+John+Hegenauer+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Profile: John Hegenauer

MHS teacher John Hegenauer

MHS teacher John Hegenauer

Photo: Courtesy: John Hegenauer

MHS teacher John Hegenauer

Photo: Courtesy: John Hegenauer

Photo: Courtesy: John Hegenauer

MHS teacher John Hegenauer

Darius Holmes, Staff Writer

Former aspiring chef John Hegenauer runs the Young Men’s Leadership group and is a paraeducator at Manchester High.

Hegenauer provides support and assistance to both students and teachers in the classroom for all subjects. He is a 2006 MHS graduate, and went to Manchester Community College and Central Connecticut State University with the intention of becoming a social studies teacher. He was also interested in becoming a chef, but decided he did not want that lifestyle.

Still, Hegenauer  is very adventurous when it comes to trying new things — especially when it comes to food. 

“If I could give one piece of advice to every person in the world, it would be, be adventurous with your food, because you never know what you’re going taste and it’s going be the best thing you’ve ever tasted,” Mr. Hegenauer said.

Hegenauer — or Mr. H, as he’s known around MHS — took that adventurous mindset going into MCC as well. While at MCC he tried out pretty much everything that he could and got an associates degree with over four times the amount of credits required for a degree.

Mr. H chose his profession based off the time he’d have to commit to the job. Though he wanted to be a chef, he’d rather not spend 14 hours in the kitchen and away from his family.

But his dream to be a cook never completely ended, Hegenauer said that he’s always wanted to run either “a small cafe or food truck” where he’d have four items on the menu and make those four items perfectly and add new specials so his menu was never dull.